Flemington New Jersey General Information
By Paul F. Stillwaggon Warren NJ, NJ Estates Real Estate Group, Weichert Realtors
Flemington, NJFlemington was originally the territory of the Lenni-Lenape Indians, as was all of Hunterdon County. In 1712,the Flemington acreage was acquired by William Penn and Daniel Coxe as part of a land parcel of 9170 acres. In 1756, Samuel Fleming purchased part of this land, and built his home which still stands on Bonnell Street, and "Fleming's Town" was born. Flemington was essentially agricultural due to the surrounding fertile farmland and Early German and English settlers engaged in industries dependent on farm products. Overs time, poultry and dairy farms superseded crops in agricultural importance. In 1785, Flemington was chosen as the County Seat of Hunterdon. Fire destroyed the old courthouse in 1826 and the City of Lambertville made an unsuccessful attempt to hav...